Tuesday, February 22, 2011

how do you thank a government employee?

over the weekend, i spent some time writing thank you cards to six or seven people that have helped chris and i arrive at being invited- from our recruiter, to our med assistant, up to our PO.

what's sad is that these little cards look so lonely and my normal method of thanking people- sending cookies- has chris looking at me like i'm crazy person.

'you can't mail cookies to a government office' he says.

'i won't cover them in powdered sugar!' says i.

what's a hopeful PCV to do? risk that the cookies could be destroyed upon site? just send the cards? i really want to honestly thank these people (especially our recruiter and PO- they have both been amazing, so candid, and so clearly pivotal in the process!), and my usual idea seems suspect.

thoughts?

5 comments:

Lew said...

Sincere thank you emails should suffice.

Anonymous said...

Starbucks giftcard?

kate said...

@Lew: Thanks, I've already sent those! I just wanted to do something a bit more, because of how wonderful everyone has been, especially as we're a couple, which takes a bit more work!

@astronmerpc: I thought of that, but I worry that maybe it's something a government employee can't accept? But thank you for commenting and the suggestion!

Anonymous said...

I would send an e-mail asking if they would be permitted to accept baked goods or a gift card. At least then they'll know you were thinking about them!

Cole said...

I might just stick with the card, I'm sure they'll be impressed with that alone!