Wednesday, February 23, 2011

ah, the familiar pinch

first up, i broke down and called our placement officer to see if there was an update on the physical hard invitation.

the invitation is still on her desk, awaiting the one final piece of paper. well, poo.  keep your fingers crossed that it's miraculously sent this week.  i'm not sure i can last another weekend, officially invited but sans big blue packet. egads! patience! patience! patience, how you test me!

although, as long as my nightmares of the invite being revoked aren't true, we're all good.

today, i broke out the glasses in preparation for 27 months sans contacts (most likely.)  oh, that awful nose and temple pinching that occurs if you haven't worn anything but contacts for years!

ye olde trusty glasses circa 2008...and husband

i'm going to try to wear them once or twice a week until we leave, working up to three or so times a week.  i'm hoping i might be able to still wear contacts, but also know that if we are sent to cambodia, they have a major dry, dusty season where contacts are pretty impractical.

anyone else out there preparing for life sans-contacts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No contacts for me in Costa Rica, either! I needed to get another pair (since they said to bring two)... I went to Target and spent a fortune, but if you need to buy another pair and have your prescription, I suggest this website: http://www.zennioptical.com/ You can upload a picture of yourself and "try on" the glasses, and they're cheap! I also bought a pair of prescription sunglasses (which contributed to the fortune I spent).

kate said...

@astronomer: That's great advice, thank you! I bought one new pair and have been holding out on the second for a great deal. You rock!

ashley said...

I was preparing for 27 months of sad glasses-wearing, but apparently contacts are no big deal in Mongolia, especially since glasses won't like the ridiculously cold weather. win.

@atronomerpc - I do need a second pair though, so that website is fabulous! thanks bunches! so glad I blog stalk now :)